Friday 6 November 2009

My Lecturing Days


It a blessing I allowed to teach in local college. Before started this teaching career, many friends and relatives do advised me to join education industry, I quite resist such suggestions. In my mind: only those who can’t compete with corporate world will return to academic comfort zone. In a certain sense, is a failure’s alternative.

I remember my 1st lecturing day; it was 3 hours lecture, over sixty students were sitting in front of me, eyes on me and expecting me to help them complete the assignment urgently. My superior orders me to revise examination paper on the same day. I do not know how to cope with all these expectations. After deep discussion with the students, I also do not know how to assist them to pass. During students’ presentation, I almost fainted and do not know how to evaluate their performance.

In a short time, I have completed one semester and kick off new semester. In second semester, I am handling 3 classes. The most unforgettable class is “Governing Business Activities” module. Pls don’t ask me regards this module contents; it’s very conceptual and theoretical based study. My major issue in this class is we have approximately 35 students who just arrived from Mainland China. Most of them have English language difficulties, they can’t understand.even simple conversation. The “beauty” of this module is each student need to prepare 1500 words essay and 15 minutes presentation (No Exam). Try to imagine an undergraduate student who can’t answer such simple questions: Where are you living? What makes you study in Malaysia? etc. However, I very appreciate these students’ efforts and admire their learning attitude. Of course, they are few foreign students who can’t stand anymore with actual tertiary education environment and back to parents’ embarrassment.

I quite shock when my superior informed me today is my last day in Stamford. In this last class, I not even dare to looks into my students’ eyes when I make such cruel announcement to present students. We just build up a very clear understanding towards the module and friendship especially with the classes’ representative. Thanks for their effort to help me set up the projector, to get the attendance book, to key in all the students email addresses and endless ridiculous request from myself.

My dear students, please accept my sincere apology if I make you feel uncomfortable or even hurt you in class. Wish you guys be consistent, pass all the modules and graduate soon.

Well, after all these lecturing days, I have to admit I like teaching very much! I very enjoy interaction with young adults. I hope I can resume my teaching career after retirement from commercial work.

I always push the students to express and work independently but compulsory to follow all the rules which set by myself ;p

1 comments:

Atlantisian said... [Reply]

Good luck in your new endeavors, its sad but its a great experience indeed.