Tuesday 28 September 2010

26.09.2010_Volunteer Day

Without my permission, I was selected to become this Voluntary Project Committee. Whilst busy with work routine activities, I was being imposed to spend some time for this event: meeting, con-call, arrangement, brain-storming session, negotiation slot n etc. The most important thing is fund supplier want to minimize the cost, I pray to God so that I can find an affordable, presentable and meaningful location and voluntary activity. Initially, we have 2 options: tree-planting and sport’s day for less fortunate group. Again, in terms of cost, we are “selected” tree-planting project after “vote”.

At the end, we have chosen a local NGO to join its tree-planting project. We have to liaise with these self-proclaim “eco-warriors” human beings. Again, when we deal with volunteers, we need more than 101% patient because everyone is FOC. We can’t be too demanding, too forceful, too determine, too …. “Love is patient”, I keep telling myself when deal with all these charity workers.

The location was muddy and smelly beside riverbank. Organizer is targeting each participant plants minimum 10 trees, but I plant nothing as I was in charge for food n beverage supply. I was sitting in the tent and encourage volunteer to drink more water but not 100 Plus isotonic drink. The reason is simple: 100 Plus is damn more expensive then plain water!

I also become one day coach conductor, to ensure everyone safely on-board to location and return home safely. What I need to do is shouting: Masuk, masuk, masuk (go inside)…. Even a senior post colleague requested me to extend the departure time, my answer is: "NO NO NO, we are not effort to delay. I want everything ON-TIME." That senior post colleague tak boleh tahan, can’t stand with my attitude and need to compromise with me; p

Overall, the event can be considered succeed cause NO RAIN!

1 comments:

Dorcas said... [Reply]

hahhaa, and the tree needed the rain no? luckily you are not responsible for the Mac Donald look a like uniform!!