Sunday 1 February 2009

2009.01.23_CNY_Preparation_&_NightOut

On this busy day, I was helping my family to prepare Hakka cuisine à Bean curd dumpling “Yong To Fu, 酿豆腐”, we are enjoying to cook it. First, we need to chop the pork, mackerel, garlic and Chinese herbs powder into mince meats. After all, we cut the bean curd into two triangle shape portions. We slice the middle of the triangle bean curd then insert the mince meats in it. In fact, we are encourage to use our creativity and innovative to prepare this food with different kinds of vegetables such as bitter guard, giant chili, aubergine, lady finger etc. The cooking methodology is same aforementioned, we just simply need to dig a space in vegetables to insert mince into it. Finally, we can steam it @ deep fried it. To ease everyone on the first day of CNY, we deep fried all the products so that this ready cooked meal can easily serve.
At noon, I’m helping my sis to decorate our home. To save budget, all décor items are recycle used.

After having dinner, my best mate, Mr.Han requests me, a professional shopperholic to accompany him to buy CNY clothes. We went to Mahkota Parade, shopping mall to enjoy CNY shopping atmosphere. I saw an extremely odd notice in sport equipment retails shop. I have NO COMMENT of this eccentric notification. I’m sure foreign visitors’ minds are full of question marks when they see it.


To taste more CNY celebration circumstances, we decided to go to famous but crowded Jonker Street. It’s must-go tourist spot. For me, it is “Pasar Malam”, kind of common night market in South East Asia region. The Malaka district government and local Chinese community put tonnes of effort on this street. We can have local food (ball-alike-chicken rice), hand craft (wooden slipper), street music performer, and mature fellows dancing club, karaoke_ing and accessories stalls along the whole street. I have to admit that this Jonker Street is the best night out place for tourist!


As a so called gastronomist, I won’t miss “Satey Celup” (Celup means dip in Malay language). This soup’s ingredients are unique and complex (groundnuts, herb, beans and etc). We just simply throw all the meat@veg stick in the boiler. This meal is must-eat-Melaka-style-steamboat (打边炉).

Wow… so many local English terms…
Don’t ask me why, I rather show you when you visit me in Melaka.

Guess, what is this?

3 comments:

Susan said... [Reply]

sausages perhaps?

Kim said... [Reply]

nope, it is
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
..
.
duck neck

samantha siew said... [Reply]

i thought is 'lap cheong'... erk..the duck neck over-roasted???