Saturday 2 October 2010

Dreadful charity dinner and sickening bilingual menu

Well, I have to confess my English level is pretty bad. When I saw this menu all the -ve words appear in my mind:UGLY; HORRIBLE; TERRIBLE; HORRENDOUS; DISASTROUS; GROSS; UNSPEAKABLE; SPEECHLESS n etc. Why the event organizer, a local 3 stars hotel put this menu on the table? 1st dish:"beauty of four season", mandarin direct translation is " the true, the good and the beautiful" My logic is summer, spring, autumn and winter are 4 seasons but 真善美 only consists 3 elements! Something wrong with the equation. 2nd dish: Seas of benevolence", I can find any "seas" in mandarin menu. In contrast, I find wholeheartedly kindness soup in this dish. Next dish make me really want to shout: tak boleh tahan!!!English name is "charm of the phoenix" The meaning of this meal in mandarin is two phoenix are flying in the sky! Main ingredient for this food is "fake duck" How to link a duck with phoenix? Both are Aves. The rest of the menu names are acceptable except last two. I can't read the translator mind at all, how to link a harvest with gods? Mandarin meaning for last two meal is A gang of gods come on earth while English name for this meal is Harvest of loving, caring and sharing. The last meal which is moon cake plus a sweet drink. Again, the menu PIC intends to link with Mid-Autumn Festival, it called "double sweetness- of the autumn, however; the mandarin meaning is solitude autumn moon scenery. To my best understanding, we only can find one moon in galaxy, then how tht PIC can parallel his mind with double sweetness to solely moon? 2≠1



2 comments:

Dorcas said... [Reply]

hahahha, you're very funny.
anyway, i hope the dishes taste better than the name.

Cassey Raey said... [Reply]

haha...thx Kim for dropping by...aw so fun hot spring? where is your kampung.. i'm going to setapak soon!!~ christmas tht time God willing can meet up with you all lo =p